Saturday, October 23

The Boys Save The Day

All week there has been a little voice in my head saying, "do the weekly craft project, do the weekly craft project." Then all of a sudden it was Thursday and no craft project to write about.

Simple you say - whip up a quick little something fabulous with the boys on Friday morning, snap a few pictures send it over to She's Thrifty and keep my reputation as a reliable weekly guest blogger....well, here's the problem. Last week I got a JOB!!! Someone is actually going to pay me to do something!!!

To most of you that may not be all that exciting. You're probably saying to yourself, "what a nut case, I go to a job every day, it's nothing to get that excited about." But in my little world it is news of epic proportions. I'm a stay-at-home mom and have 3 "jobs" that have not paid me a dime in the last 7+ years. There are all kinds of websites that calculate what you're worth as a stay-at-home mom. I've read them and all it manages to do is depress me. Why would I want to see what my "job" is worth if I were paid...I love (make sure to insert sarcasm when you say love) hearing that if I got paid for my job I would make (according to salary.com) $117,867. In other words, if I was doing exactly the same "job" for someone else, I could make over $100,000 a year! Don't get me wrong; I have loved every, I mean some, of the moments at home with my kids. But right now that $117,000 is sounding pretty nice. Think of the shoes a person could buy for that amount! Getting way off topic now....

Now you're thinking, "how could this ever relate to a craft project for kids?" Hang in, I'm almost there.
Last week I got the job; this week I've spent every possible moment interviewing baby sitters. LOTS of baby sitters. The first person I 'hired' didn't get back to me after I left a message offering the job. The message might have gotten lost among the various modes of communication these days, but it's my story and I think she blew me off. The SECOND person I 'hired' DIDN'T SHOW UP!!! And, of course, I was supposed to be in a meeting! Reality is she had the stomach flu, but still. I must have totally jinxed myself with the dumpster diving/pot smoking baby sitter blog a few weeks ago....This is the first job I've had in 7 years, and it's put me in quite a tailspin. Hours later I think I finally have the rest of the week set for baby sitters; fingers crossed that someone shows up the next day! Ahh, I am still off topic. Needless to say, my baby sitter hunt has completely taken over my life, plus I've got the new job thrown in.

As Thursday was coming to a close, I started thinking of some witty post about being a LOSER, trying to make it sound funny that I wasn't able to complete my one guest post a week....And then, Boys To The Rescue. I knew I had them for a reason! I'm making dinner, singing songs in my head with words like "finger and her thumb in the shape of an L on her forehead" and from outside I hear all of this pounding. I just keep on making dinner. A few minutes later, I hear "MOM, come look!" The boys have just constructed their own field goal. Seriously, I kid you not. They found wood around the house, went into the garage and got nails and a hammer. OK, you might be thinking, "girl, you need to babyproof." But let's just look past that and focus on the positive. My boys created a project! I know this is a bit nontraditional and you may not want to try it at home. But in the interest of feeling good about myself and not like a loser, here are instructions on how to make your very own field goal.


Materials
4 boards, if they are scrounged up from around your house all the better (I like to say eco-friendly, up-cycled, etc. Makes it sound fancier!)
a handful of nails
a hammer

Directions are simple. Pound nails into boards in the shape of a field goal. If you don't know what a field goal looks like, I would suggest finding a new project. Or looking at the photo. Tomorrow's task, painting the field goal. Wow, was this one simple. Thanks boys for saving the day. Down, set, hike!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job! I know of a very reliable sitter you could call...Sherry (Hannah's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment... Sherry is fabulous. I think I have found a sitter, but if it doesnt work out I will be in touch with Sherry, and that Hannah is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree! Hannah and Roo declared each other their valentines last year.

    ReplyDelete